* Message from our Chairman
* Over 60 Carnival 2014
* Nominations for a Qld Team 2014
* Nominations for Coaches and Managers 2014
* Qld Championships 2014 - dates and venue.
* Aust Championships 2014 - dates and venue.
* Website change
* Qld Masters Hockey is on Facebook.
MESSAGE FROM OUR CHAIRMAN
It’s been another big year for Queensland Masters Hockey.
In 2013 we saw:
Early in the year our first ever Over 60s Invitational Carnival was a great success. Nominations were taken from individuals and five teams were named on arrival on Friday night. During Saturday and on Sunday morning a full round-robin was played. These super-fit over 60s played four full games in the weekend. Most games were evenly contested, however the emphasis was on participation rather than results. The event will be repeated in 2014.
Townsville were terrific hosts for Over 35/45/55 in early May.
Over 40s played in Warwick in late May and the Over 50s at Sunshine Coast in June. All of these weekends were well organised and thoroughly enjoyed by all of the players.
We had 14 teams travel to Sydney for the Australian Mens Masters Championships in September/ October.
Once again your committee did a terrific job organising all of this.
Included in this Newsletter are details of forthcoming events in 2014. With your help we can make 2014 another fantastic year of Masters Hockey.
Happy Christmas to all and all the best for 2014 both on the field and off.
Gil Voysey (Chair Qld Masters Management Committee)
OVER 60 STATE CARNIVAL 2014.
The Qld Over 60 State Carnival will be held on the Sunshine Coast on 7/8/9 March 2014.
COST: $65 which includes the welcome dinner Friday night, a BBQ Sat Night, Umpire costs and First Aid. Partners are welcome to the Dinner Friday Night at an extra cost of $35 and or the BBQ Sat night at an extra cost of $15.
For more information please click here:
REGISTRATIONS are now open for this carnival.
All players aged 60+ years in 2014 are welcome to participate.
The format of this carnival (not a State Championship) will be as follows:
1. Players will register as individuals and pay a registration fee which will include a welcome dinner Friday night and a BBQ Sat evening.
2. Teams will be selected from registered players taking into account playing positions, age and experience. As far as possible teams will be of equal standard. GK may need to play for more than one team
3. It is hoped that there are 5 teams and every team will play each other once.
4. There will be no finals and no "winners".
5. Umpires will be provided but there will be no tech bench, no team cards etc.
6. State selectors will be present to choose the Qld Over 60, 65 and 70 teams for 2014. The selectors will also be at the Over 55 Championships in Toowoomba where players who choose not to attend the Over 60 carnival will also be eligible for selection to a Qld team.
The purpose of the carnival is to encourage as many players as possible who are Over 60 to participate in a State Carnival. An Over 60 carnival has been requested by the Over 65 and Over 70 players for a number of years as they find it difficult to participate in the Over 55 championships.
The weekend will be both a social event providing an opportunity to meet and play with players from around the State as well as a weekend of tough but friendly Hockey competition.
This will be held Friday night and is an opportunity for all players to socialise before the games commence on Saturday. At this dinner the teams for the weekend will be announced and it will be an opportunity to meet your new team members. Spouses are welcome and the cost of the dinner will be included in your registration. Spouses will of course pay for the dinner only.
Please go to the Over 60 Carnival page for more information on this carnival.
TO REGISTER: This is not a nomination for selection to a Qld team - please go to the Nominations page of the website for that form l. Please CLICK HERE
NOMINATIONS FOR QLD TEAMS 2014
Nominations for a Qld Team in 2014 to contest the National Titles in Perth from 27 Sept to 11 Oct are now open. Please be aware that in 2014 each team/individual will be responsible for arranging and booking their own accommodation. Qld Masters will NOT be arranging any accommodation for players or teams.
To Nominate for a Qld Team in 2014 Click Here
NOMINATIONS FOR COACHES AND MANAGERS OF QLD TEAMS 2014
Nominations are now called for Coaches (preferably non playing coaches) and Managers for the 2014 Qld Teams.
These positions are extremely important to the organising and efficient running of the Qld teams to go to Perth and these positions need to be filled prior to the naming of the Qld Teams.
This is especially important in 2014 as the Managers will be responsible for booking the accommodation for the team or ensuring that each player has made the necessary accommodation bookings.
If you are interested in either of these positions in any age division please send an email outlining your experience and indicating which age group or team you wish to nominate for to
DUE DATE: March 1 2014
QLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2014
The Qld Championships 2014 will be held as follows:
Please note these dates for your diary and remember that you must attend the correct championship for your age division to be considered for selection to a Qld team in 2014.
Over 60: The Over 60 carnival will be held on the Sunshine Coast probably the 7,8,9 March 2014. See information above.
Over 35,45,55: The Over 35,45,55 State Championships will be held in Toowoomba on the June Long Weekend 6-9 June. This championship will commence on Friday evening so please be aware when making travel arrangements.
Over 40 and Over 50: The Over 40 and Over 50 State Championships will be held in Mackay on the 16- 18 May. This championship will commence Friday morning and the last game will be approx. 3pm Sunday afternoon. This is NOT a long weekend so please make arrangements to be in Mackay ready for the first game Friday morning.
AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 2014
The National Championships 2014 will be held in Perth WA from 27 Sept to 11 Oct 2014.
Over 35 teams will commence playing Sat 27 while other age division will commence with Training on Sun 28 Sept.
Please be aware of the following:
- Qld Masters will not be arranging any accommodation for teams or for individual players. It is the responsibility of the Managers and the individual players to arrange accommodation in Perth.
- The format of the Australian Championships is being reconsidered as a result of the survey from Aust. Masters many of you completed earlier this year. The championship may be modified so that not all age divisions are required to be in Perth for the full two weeks - a split/shortened championship is being considered. As soon as any decision is made ( and it may not occur until 2015 given that many people have already booked holidays for 2014) we will keep you informed.
WEBSITE CHANGE We are currently investigating reconfiguring our website. The web address will remain the same but the total layout will be changed to hopefully make it more user friendly and spectacular.
Keep checking the site for the change of layout.
QLD MASTERS IS ON FACEBOOK - ARE YOU??
Thanks to Mick Lever Qld Masters is now on Facebook. It is hoped that eventually this will be a useful way to contact each other, pass on the latest news, post pictures and results from carnivals - the list goes on.
Already there are photos from the championships there as well as updates when things are added to our website.
If you are already on Facebook then simply search for Qld Mens Masters Hockey - you can link from our website as well.
If you are not already on Facebook then simply search for Facebook on your browser, sign up with as little or as much information as possible and search for Qld Masters hockey as before.
If you are concerned about Privacy settings the following might help: Basic steps for ensuring privacy on Facebook Once you have created a Facebook account we recommend that you take some time to ensure that you implement some of the everyday privacy settings available to you. It is up to you if you choose to go with the default Facebook settings.
Use this link https://www.facebook.com/help/privacy and take the time to read it to help you make changes to your privacy settings.
If all else fails ask a grandchild, child, spouse etc who will set it up for you in no time at all!